The Green Office Model has become a brand. But you do not need to call it Green Office, as long as you stick to the 6 GO Principles and contribute to the GO Movement.
If you also want to focus on socio-economic sustainability issues such as health, gender equality, poverty and hunger, then the name “green” is limiting. Also if you want to translate the name into your own language, then “Green Office” does not necessarily work.
Five factors influence the name that you want to give your GO:
- Do you want to focus on primarily environmental or also socio-economic issues?
- Do you focus on students as main target group or also staff and faculty?
- What are the names of other sustainability initiatives at your institution?
- Do you want a longer or shorter name? Does the acronym sound nice to you?
- How many people at your institution will be comfortable with an English name or do you want something in your local language?
Here are 10 examples of potential names you might want to give your GO in English. Generally speaking, it help if you combine the focus of your GO, with the words like office, hub, centre or unit.
- Climate Action Unit (CAU)
- Student Green Office (SGO)
- Students’ Green Unit (SGU)
- Student Sustainability Hub (SSH)
- Sustainability Impact Hub (SIH)
- [Name of your institution] Sustainability Hub / Office
- Fair and Green Office (FAGO)
- CSR Office / Hub
- Social Responsibility Hub / Office
- Student Sustainability Centre
Names in other languages:
- Dutch: Duurzaamheidskantoor, Duurzaamheidsplatform
- German: Nachhaltigkeitsbüro (Most frequently chose name of GOs in Germany)
In case that you do not like any of these names and want to surf on the “Green Office” brand that we have established, we are of course happy if you do so.
Text by Felix Spira. Photo by Painted Names 2012. Flickr, Creative Commons License.