From January 22nd-23rd 2016, Tim and I participated in the konferenz-n, a student sustainability conference organized by netzwerk-n. Five GOs and GO initiatives from all over Germany participated in a workshop organised by Julius and Lukas. This is a great opportunity to provide you with short updates about what these GOs were working on.
- Nachhaltigkeitsbüro HU Berlin: The team currently runs a sustainability course, organises a food cooperative and lobbies for a stronger institutionalisation of sustainability within the university. As a major achievement in 2015, the Nachhaltigkeitsbüro lobbied the university to establish a sustainability working group. The working group met for the first time in January 2016, and will develop a sustainability strategy for the university. (Website)
- Green Office Konstanz: The team is expanding from five to eight members, managing a team transition, organising a networking event for all sustainability student groups at the university and planning a sustainability day. As a major project for the beginning of 2016, the GO has now four students working on the first sustainability report of the university. (Website)
- Nachhaltigkeitsbüro Magdeburg: This GO got established with the mandate to develop a sustainability strategy for the university. As a first step, the GO is now working on the first sustainability report for the university. To write the report, they use a sustainability reporting framework currently developed at Maastricht University Green Office. Julius, one of the student employees at the GO, is also writing his Master thesis on how to adapt this reporting framework to German universities
- Green Office Köln: This GO Initiative was formed in September 2015 at a weekend seminar by rootAbility and the vfh. They aim to establish a GO to strengthen student initiatives currently working on sustainability, and to structurally integrate sustainability within the university. The team just received a coaching by netzwerk-n, and is now ready to write the funding application and start talks with the university. (Facebook)
- Green Office Initiative Universität Wuppertal: Similar to the GO Initiative at the University of Cologne, this GO initiative was also established following the rootAbility-vfh weekend seminar in September 2015. They are linked to the Students’ Union at the university, have five members, and are currently looking for ways to give assignments to courses to help them with adapting the GO model to their university.
To learn more about their work, please contact the respective GOs via their websites or Facebook pages.
By Felix Spira